Last Updated: July 28, 2020
- NIC applications and websites
- The Gov2Go mobile application, and
- The Gov2Go website located at getgov2go.com
We refer to these as the "Services." We provide our apps to you on the Google Play Store, the Apple App Store, or through our websites.
THE INFORMATION NIC COLLECTS
We collect two types of information from you:
- “Personally Identifiable Information” or “Personal Information”: This is information that you provide to us which personally identifies you. This information includes but is not limited to:
- postal or email address
- mobile device or telephone number
- date of birth
- other information or data that identifies you, which is provided by you through our applications or websites or collected and maintained by us if you have registered an account (“Registered Account”) to use the Services
- credit card information
- credentials to enable the Gov2Go application to interact with government websites of governments providing services to you ("Government Partners")
- certain combinations of such information that meets the legal definition of “Personally Identifiable Information” or “Personal Information” for purposes of notifying you of a data breach.
By registering and creating a Registered Account or using the Services in a way in which you disclose your Personally Identifiable Information, you give your consent for us to receive, view, display, use, disclose, transmit, and maintain such Personally Identifiable Information on your behalf so that we can provide the Services to you.
- “Non-Personally Identifiable Information”: This is information that does not personally identify you, such as:
- device-specific information, including hardware information about any device you are using to access or use the Services (including UDID), your MAC address, operating system information (including your operating system version), unique device identifiers, browser type, device type, IP address, your location, your user preferences, reporting, dashboards, volumes, and other non-personally identifying analytics.
- information about the time you spend accessing and using our Services
- activity just before and after using or accessing the Services (such as websites or links clicked to open our websites or download our apps)
- the dates and times that you use our Services, and
- aggregate information about usage and traffic patterns across users of our services.
By registering and creating a Registered Account or using the Service, you give your consent for us to receive, view, display, use, disclose, transmit and maintain such Non-Personally Identifiable Information and to share it with customers and third parties as described below.
HOW NIC COLLECTS INFORMATION
We collect much of the information listed above directly from you when you submit it through our Services. This includes information such as registration information, contact information, user submissions, and public postings. If you do not want to share your information, you can choose not to create a Registered Account or use the Services.
Strictly Necessary Cookies. These cookies are used to remember information you have entered on forms or fields when using our Services and as you navigate to different pages in a single session when using our Services, such as remembering certain information on a form when you go to another page before the form has been completed. These cookies are used to make sure the Services work efficiently and that you can use them effectively. If you disable such cookies, you may not be able to use certain features of the Services.
Performance Cookies. These cookies may be used to measure the performance of the Services, improve how the Services function, and measure our marketing activity. Information that is collected using these cookies is aggregated and anonymous, and we are not able to identify individual users. We may use these cookies to provide aggregated statistics on how the Services are used, determine the efficacy of our marketing activities, and provide feedback to our partners. We may also use these cookies to measure any errors that occur in the Services, improve the performance of the Services, and test different page designs on the Services. We do not use these cookies to target you with advertising on other websites or other applications, or to remember any preferences you have set beyond the current session.
Functionality Cookies. These cookies allow the Services to remember choices you make (for example, your user name) and provide enhanced, more personal features. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to your preferences. They may also be used to provide services through the Services, such as watching a video or accessing third party information or resources.
Other Tracking Methods
Location Data. We may collect and use your location information (such as your current latitude and longitude coordinates) that is provided by your mobile device or by you. Such data about your location can be either precise or imprecise. Precise location data includes Global Position System (GPS) data as well as geolocation data identifying nearby cell towers and Wi-Fi hotspots that we collect when you enable or use location-based services or features of the Services. Imprecise location data includes, for example, a location derived from your IP address or data that indicates where you are located with less precision, such as at a city, state, or postal code. We may use such location information to more efficiently provide you with our Services and improve the functionality of the Services.
Log Files. We use log files in connection with our Services. Log files track Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. We utilize this information to analyze trends, administer the Services, prevent fraud, track website navigation in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
Third Party Advertising Services. Over time, we may employ various different advertising or remarketing services that serve you targeted advertisements to make your online experience more focused to your interests. We will not distribute any Personally Identifiable Information collected from the Services or any landing page(s) to advertisers or remarketing services.
DATA FROM USERS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES
Although the Services are accessible over the Internet and therefore available worldwide, the Services and their content are intended for residents of the United States only. If you choose to access the Services from locations outside the United States, such conduct is at your own risk and subject to the laws of the United States of America, which may differ from privacy laws in your state or home country, and you are responsible for compliance with any local laws and regulations. Nothing in the Services should be interpreted as a promotion or solicitation for any product of any nature that is not authorized by the laws and regulations of the country where you are located. Personally Identifiable Information collected through or on the Services may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which NIC or its affiliates, subsidiaries, or agents maintain facilities, and by using the Services you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country. Users from outside the United States should not use or access the Services or disclose any information, including Personally Identifiable Information, through the Services. Individuals outside the United States who disclose any data through the Services, including Personally Identifiable Information, hereby acknowledge and consent to such data being stored in the United States or any other country, and transferred outside your country.
SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
The security of your Personally Identifiable Information is very important to us, and NIC takes reasonable steps to protect the information you provide us from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. We follow generally accepted industry standards to safeguard your information; however, no data or electronic transmission is ever fully secure or error-free. Therefore, please take special care in deciding what information you send to us or provide when accessing or using the Services. We have reasonable safeguards in place to protect your information, and we have taken the following security measures:
- Secure Storage - We deploy reasonable and appropriate industry standard physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect your Personally Identifiable Information in storage.
- Confidentiality Agreements - To protect the security and privacy of your information, we utilize industry standard confidentiality agreements to require vendors, partners, and other third parties to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
- Limit Employee Access - We limit access to your Personally Identifiable Information to those employees who reasonably need access to such information in order to improve the Services and process your information appropriately.
HOW NIC USES INFORMATION
We use your Personally Identifiable Information to provide you with information, features, and functionalities in the Services, as well as related services you may request within the Services. We will use your email address, without further consent, for administrative purposes and customer service purposes, and to address intellectual property infringement, rights of privacy, or defamation issues.
We will not use your email address or other Personally Identifiable Information to send promotional or marketing messages to you, or to provide you with more tailored information about our products and services, unless you have requested that we contact you about NIC products and services when you create a Registered Account or otherwise. You can always manually opt out of such promotional or marketing messages from NIC by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in any NIC email and/or updating such settings in the Services (as applicable).
We use Non-Personally Identifiable Information that we collect to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide features, functionalities, and information you find on the Services. NIC may also use this information to (a) remember your information, so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you login to the Services; and (b) monitor aggregate Services usage metrics based on the total number of Users.
NIC uses all of the information that we collect to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the way the Services function and look, and to create and market new services, features, and functionality available through the Services over time. We may also de-identify and aggregate all data and information collected from Users through the Services and use such information for our business purposes.
WHEN NIC DISCLOSES INFORMATION
We do not share Personally Identifiable Information except when we have your permission or under special circumstances, such as in the circumstances described below:
- To Service Providers: Personally Identifiable Information may be transferred to a third party service provider for further processing (such as an agent, consultant, or service provider) acting for or on behalf of NIC, or in connection with NIC’s business operations, in accordance with the original purpose of the collection of such information.
- To Government Partners: We may share your Personally Identifiable Information with our government partner customers and clients, for which certain features and functionalities of the Sites are provided or created for you.
- To Comply with Law: We may disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with the law or related legal proceedings. Specifically, we may access, use, and/or disclose your Personally Identifiable Information in response to a valid court order, subpoena, government investigation, or if otherwise required to do so by law, in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the requirements of the law or comply with legal process served on us; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, including the rights or property of our affiliates; or (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of NIC, our users, or others.
We may also disclose “blinded,” de-identified aggregated data and user statistics to prospective partners and other third parties. Such blinded data is data that does not identify any individual person or user.
You may decline to provide any Personally Identifiable Information to us. If you choose not to provide any Personally Identifiable Information, you may not be able to use the Services or certain parts of the Services, and we will not be able to provide you some of the features and functionality found on the Services.
If you wish to access, change, or update your Personally Identifiable Information or account preferences, you may do so by logging into your Registered Account and saving your changes and preferences to your Registered Account or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Changes you make will be effective when we receive them but will not change or affect any actions that NIC took in reliance upon your prior preferences, information, or authorization before the change was received.
If you do not want your activity on our websites to be tracked by Google Analytics, you may opt out by using this link: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES AND INFORMATION
OUR COMMITMENT TO CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
The Services are not aimed at nor intended for children under the age of thirteen (13). If you are under the age of thirteen (13), please DO NOT USE the Services. NIC does not accept registration from children under the age of thirteen (13) and no one under the age of thirteen (13) may provide any information to or through the Services. If you are above the age of thirteen (13) and under the age of eighteen (18), you must obtain parental consent before using the Services. No personally identifiable information (as defined in the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), 15 U.S.C. § 6501) is purposefully or knowingly collected from children under the age of thirteen (13) by the Services without verifiable parental consent. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under thirteen (13) years of age, and believe that he or she disclosed information to us, please contact us using the contact information noted in the “Contact Us” section below. If we learn that we have collected or received Personally Identifiable Information of persons under thirteen (13) years of age without verification of parental consent, we will exercise commercially reasonable efforts to delete this information.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS AND ONLINE TRACKING
The California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA") grants State of California residents the following rights, to:
- Know what personal information is being collected about them;
- Know whether their personal information is sold or disclosed and to whom;
- Say no to the sale of their personal information;
- Access their personal information;
- Have their personal information deleted; and
- Have the right to equal service and price, even if they exercise their privacy rights under this law.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect
We collect information that identifies you, your household or your device or is reasonably capable of being connected with or linked to you, your household, or your device ("Personal Information"). Personal information does not include public information available from government records, de-identified or aggregated information or information that is protected by certain laws such as HIPAA for health-related information and the Gramm-Leach Bliley Act (GLBA) for certain financial information.
We collect the following categories of Personal Information:
- First and last name
- Mailing address
- Telephone number (which may include your mobile number)
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Registered Account information such as your username
- Credentials to enable the Gov2Go application to interact with government websites of Government Partners
- Internet Protocol (IP) Address
- Government service identifiers such as driver's license numbers and tax identifiers
- Personal Information Listed in the California Customer Records Statute
- The above identifiers
- Credit or debit card information
- Characteristics of Protected Classifications
- Commercial Information
- Information about transactions you have with government entities such as license fees and property tax payments
- Transaction reporting and dashboards
- Transaction volume
- User preferences
- Biometric Information
- Not collected
- Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information
- Device specific information including UDID
- MAC address
- Operating system information (including version)
- Unique device identifiers
- Browser type
- Device type
- Time spent accessing and using our Services
- The dates and times that you use our Services
- Geolocation Data
- Information that tells us from where you access our website
- Sensory Data
- Not collected
- Professional or Employment-Related Information
- Professional or employment information you have provided to us
- Non-public Education Information
- Education information you have provided to us
- Inferences Drawn from Other Personal Information
- May be collected
Categories of Sources of Personal Information
We collect information from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, when you complete online forms to use our Services.
- Government partners. For example, when you use our Services to pay a property tax bill.
How We Share Your Personal Information
We share information in each of the above categories as follows:
- All categories of information
- We will share information in all of the above categories if our company is sold or we engage in a merger or other such transaction.
- We will share information in all of the above categories of information in connection with a law enforcement request that is compliant with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
- We share identifiers with service providers who use that information only to provide services to us such as shipping, name and address verification, email distribution and data storage.
- We share identifiers with Government Partners to enable you to use our Services.
- Personal Information Listed in the California Customer Records Statute
- We share identifiers and credit or debit card information with our Government Partners to facilitate transactions you make using our Services.
- Commercial Information
- We share transaction information with Government Partners to provide our Services
- Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information
- We share this information with our data analytics providers
- We may share this information with Government Partners to enable you to access their services through our Services
How We Use Your Information
See "How NIC Uses Information" above to learn how we use your information. We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
How We Retain and Store Your Personal Information
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which we collected it and to comply with applicable laws. We use reasonable security precautions to protect your information while in storage.
Requests to Know
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Requests to Delete
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
How To Submit a Request to Know or a Request to Delete
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. To request this information you may submit this CCPA Consumer Request Form to us by:
- Emailing us at email@example.com; or
- Mailing us at:
Privacy Requests/Legal Department
25501 West Valley Parkway
Olathe, Kansas 66061.
Be sure to state that you are a California resident and describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to understand, evaluate and respond to it. Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. To designate an authorized agent, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with a form to make a designated agent request.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
We will try to respond to your request within forty-five (45) days of when we receive it. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. We will deliver our written response by mail, email or through your Registered Account, at our option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance, specifically by electronic mail communication.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
How To Submit an Opt-Out Request
We do not sell your information to third parties for money. We do provide your information to our Government Partners and you may opt-out of that sharing. Please understand, however, that if you do opt-out of sharing your information with Government Partners, you will be unable to use our Services to complete transactions with such Government Partners.
To exercise the right to opt-out, you (or your authorized representative) may deactivate your account by visiting the following Internet Web page link and selecting the “deactivate account” button:
Once you make an opt-out request, we will wait at least twelve (12) months before asking you to reauthorize personal information sales. However, you may change your mind and opt back in to personal information sales at any time by reactivating your account or resubmitting your information.
We will only use personal information provided in an opt-out request to review and comply with the request. We will act upon your opt-out request within 15 days of receipt.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Notice of Financial Incentive/Service Difference
Because the purpose of certain of our Services is to enable you to engage in transactions with our Government Partners, if you opt-out of sharing with Government Partners, you will be unable to use those Services. If you opt-out of such sharing, information in all categories above will no longer be disclosed to our Government Partners and your Registered Account will no longer be functional. We do not offer financial incentives or price differences based on your exercise of your opt-out right.
Other California Privacy Rights
The following applies only to residents of California:
California Civil Code § 1798.83 permits Users that are residents of California to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of all third parties to which the company has disclosed certain personally identifiable information as defined under California law for such third parties’ direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please email us at email@example.com or write to us using the contact information noted in the “Contact Us” section below.
The California Online Privacy Protection Act (“CalOPPA”) requires NIC to disclose how it responds to Do Not Track signals set in a User’s web browser. Please note that the Services do not interpret or respond to "Do Not Track" signals. However, you may set your web browsers to not accept new cookies or web beacons, be notified when you receive a new cookie, or disable cookies altogether. Please note that without enabling these features, your experience on the Services may not be as smooth and you will not be able to take full advantage of the Services’ features that involve web browsing. Please see the “Help” section of your web browsers for instructions on managing this security preference.
Nevada Privacy Rights
Nevada law (SB 220), permits customers in Nevada to opt-out of the sale of certain kinds of personal information. A sale under Nevada law is the transfer of this personal information to third parties for monetary consideration so these third parties can then re-sell or license the sold information. NIC does not sell your personal information to third parties as defined in Nevada law. If you are a Nevada resident and wish to opt-out of the sale of your personal information should we change our practices in the future, you must send a request by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to state that you are a Nevada resident.
25501 West Valley Parkway
Olathe, Kansas 66061
CCPA California Resident Request Form
Please return completed form to NIC: email@example.com
First Name including all versions (i.e. Bill, Billy, William, etc.):
Date of birth:
Employee number/Agent Reference (if applicable):
Description of your last two transactions with NIC (required if making a request for specific information or to delete your personal information):
By completing this form, you are making a request under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) for information held about you by the organization that you are eligible to receive.
Required information (check all that apply):
___ The categories of personal information the business collected about the consumer
___The categories of sources from which personal information is collected
___The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information
___The categories of third parties with whom the business shares personal information
___The specific pieces of personal information the business has collected about the consumer (may require additional verification)
___The categories of the consumer’s personal information that were sold or disclosed for business purposes in the 12 months preceding the consumer’s verifiable request
Request to delete personal information:
___ All personal information
___ Specific personal information: ______________________________
By signing below, you indicate that you are the individual named above and that you are a California resident. If you are making a request to know specific pieces or information or have your personal information deleted, you declare under penalty of perjury that you are the consumer whose personal information is the subject of the request. NIC cannot accept requests regarding your personal data from anyone else, including family members, unless evidence is provided of authority to act on your behalf. We may need to contact you for further identifying information before responding to your request. You warrant that you are the individual named and will fully indemnify us for all losses, cost and expenses if you are not.
Please allow up to 45 days for a response.
Signature and Date: